Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Reality Check


Today was the most eye opening day that I have had since I have been here. I went to Prayas and after I was finished teaching the director asked me if I wanted to see the living conditions of the children at the school. I said sure, and was I in for a shock. It was the most depressing sobering experience that I have ever had. As I walked through the small streets of this slum, which is built on a dump, flys were swarming all over me to the extent of me not being able to see, because they were so clustered around my face. The smell was unbearable, there were babies running around naked, people bathing in the street, the smell of marijuana was suffocating. It was absolutely horrible.I have a few favorites in the class. Like that little girl that I have a picture with on my photos (everyone thinks she is a boy). I was walking with the director and she started calling me "dee dee, come", because she wanted to show me her home. I went into this shack, which is no larger that a walk in closet with ceilings no higher than 6ft...If that. Inside was one twin size bed, so much dirt and grime, a small cooking fire in the middle of the floor, and a few house hold things. The director told me that she shared this house with her 9 yes 9 siblings and her parents. Her mother is Muslim and does not believe in contraceptives. Is not that the worst thing you have ever heard. The most devastating thing about the whole matter was the fact that she was so proud of her home and desperately wanted me to come and see it. It made me think of how disgusting and frivolous we.. I can be. To think that someone could be happy with nothing.. absolutely nothing proves the fact that happiness does not come by materialism, but by unity and worship. She does not even know the love of Jesus, imagine how God could transform a person that humble. I was so convicted! It was the same from house to house. I saw the most dyer situations of these poor innocent children. I cried on my auto ride home, because it was so horrible. I will never be able to get that out of my mind. The thing that kills me is even if I had millions of dollars I could not get these people out of their situations.. I cannot save the world...After I went to Prayas I took an auto to Pryia. I met Tashobya and Nick at Yo China. It is the Panda express of India.. but totally authentic and nothing like panda! We did some shopping, and I got a mani/pedi for the Gala. Okay it was probably more for me, and I was justifying my splendor. I met a woman from Hilton Head Island! I was really excited to talk to an american about a place that I totally love! It has been raining like crazy..Monsoon ..n..nOn the way home my auto guy got pulled over twice. I think it was his first day, and usually that would have really tickled my belly, but I was soo stressed because it was 5:30 and the Rwandese Independence Day Gala started at 7.. I had not straightened my hair..Ahyaiyai..n..nThe Gala was a Red carpet affair! It was so much fun! The girls and I wore our sarees, as you have probably seen in the pictures. It was very nice, besides all of the olddiplomats hitting on me like I was fresh bait. It was really cool to see all of the people dressed up eating and drinking like lavishing goats.. haha not really! Okay maybe I was a bit cynical because of my day at Prayas, but I guess I was indulging on the wonderful foods too. There were a lot of VIP..'s there. I cannot remember the guest of honor.. I think a defencesecretary of India.. I cannot remember! A few did traditional dances.. Philbert and Jeff were dancing! It was really cute! I want to learn the dance, because it was so graceful! I really enjoyed myself. ..n..nPecos (Ishta..'s daddy) got in from Uganda today and is going to be here for a while! ..n..n..n",0]
);
After I went to Prayas I took an auto to Pryia. I met Tashobya and Nick at Yo China. It is the Panda express of India.. but totally authentic and nothing like panda! We did some shopping, and I got a mani/pedi for the Gala. Okay it was probably more for me, and I was justifying my splendor. I met a woman from Hilton Head Island! I was really excited to talk to an american about a place that I totally love! It has been raining like crazy..Monsoon
On the way home my auto guy got pulled over twice. I think it was his first day, and usually that would have really tickled my belly, but I was soo stressed because it was 5:30 and the Rwandese Independence Day Gala started at 7.. I had not straightened my hair..Ahyaiyai
The Gala was a Red carpet affair! It was so much fun! The girls and I wore our sarees, as you have probably seen in the pictures. It was very nice, besides all of the old diplomats hitting on me like I was fresh bait. It was really cool to see all of the people dressed up eating and drinking like lavishing goats.. haha not really! Okay maybe I was a bit cynical because of my day at Prayas, but I guess I was indulging on the wonderful foods too. There were a lot of VIP's there. I cannot remember the guest of honor.. I think a defence secretary of India.. I cannot remember! A few did traditional dances.. Philbert and Jeff were dancing! It was really cute! I want to learn the dance, because it was so graceful! I really enjoyed myself.
Pecos (Ishta's daddy) got in from Uganda today and is going to be here for a while!

No comments: