Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Monsoon has Arrived


Namaste friends,
These last couple of days have been so fantastic! I have been at Prayas everyday, and totally loving it. These kids make me feel so badly. They are so precious and they have nothing. The camp that they live in is built on a dump. Most of them are either homeless or were rescued from trafficking or child labour. It really kills me every time they look at me with their eyes full of hope, but their hope downed by pain and fear. You can tell that many of them have been through hell, and yet they are so strong. It really disintegrated my pride to see a little girl that has scars all over her body just rubbing my arms in total amazement. They all have skin problems. It turns my stomach to see a lot of their faces, because they have nasty bumps, or open wombs, and some even have huge bruises. I think this experience has been the most eye opening because these kids are so joyful even though materialistically they have nothing. Kids in the US can be soo bratty. I am not saying these kids are perfect, but they are soldiers. Some of them are 6 years old and have already worked in a factory. Or the 10 year old that has already been a prostitute. It should really make us take a step back and reflect.. Also what is really mesmerizing is that these kids pray so much and are totally serious about it. Religion is such a huge part of life here, and I just hope that I can match their dedication. WE are so fortunate....
What else has happened?! I have been taking pictures like crazy, but this computer has issues and will not allow me to publish them to a website. I have not been able to sleep and that has been kind of stressful, but melatonin will help me there! My week has been relatively boring! I went to church Sunday, and I wore my saree, and it was too hot. Oh my word, I was praise singing and I nearly passed out. Monday I went to Prayas, and slept the rest of the day, because I was stupid and started a mystery a few hours before a normal bed hour, and I had to finish it. Tuesday was a day at Prayas, then I took an auto to Pryia, and ate at Pizza Hut! That was a great time. Then later that night I Went to Bible study. It was a great study. Every Tuesday night bible study is at Dpekah's house. She is such a sweet heart! She got us McDonalds last week, because it was her birthday. She is soo wonderful. God needs to send her a man! Today I went to Prayas, and went straight home, because the girls at the beauty class got a hold of me, and they asked me if they could put lip stick on me, and I said sure.. That was the wrong thing to say! The whole class saw opportunity, and surrounded me with pencils and brushes.. I know I may be a bit gaunt and my hair may be a little frizzy from Monsoon, but dang they really wanted to make me look better! I came out of the room looking like a clown.. YIKES! They were saying "You are looking verdy verdy smart!" ha.. it was a funny time. So.. I have to get dressed because I am going to this girls house that I met at Philberts house. Her pops is an ambassador to Congo I think?! I am excited.. She has friends from Brussels visiting her. I met this guy in a coffee shop the other day ( he is from Mumbi, I hope he is okay with all of the bombings today) he is a model.. and dang he was the most attractive guy I have seen in awhile, and he told me that I was "looking verdy cutes.. " haha...well good thing that is not my focus at all! How can I go from anti-trafficking to models in one blog. It's me so I guess anything is possible. Not too predictable! I have to teach Bible study tomorrow. I wish I would have brought over material from school. That would have been really smart! Next visit...Always next time! Saturday we have a party to attend after prayer. It is going to be for this guy named Lee that is the Tanzanian ambassadors son. We met at the south African high commission memorial thing. So that will be fun to be formal for the night! I am going to raid the kitchen and try to find something to munch on.. I am starved! I wish I could post pictures. I will probably end up posting them on blogger or hello.. So all of you get hello from google. I feel like I am missing something...Oh yeah last night there were seven bombings in Mumbi, which is the same distance of Houston from Austin. That is a bit close for comfort. 100 or more people were killed and 200 at least were injured. So please pray for the families of the deceased, the safety of the people of India..including myself, and wisdom for the authorities so that they can find, and put whoever it is to justice. Alrighty Ciao for now..>

No comments: