Monday, June 11, 2007

My almost Arrest


My almost arrest!!!!
I had quite the experience last weekend.. "Aiii yi yi" as the Ugandans would say! We were going to Mbale –which is about 4 hours east of Kampala. We were having such a great time driving through the rain forest and hills with tea leaf growing all over them. You had better believe that I was Asian in my video taping. I was getting everything. Then the news came from the driver that we were about to cross the Nile river. You know I HAD to get that on tape. Well I pulled my camera out preparing for the taping when armed military guards start yelling from across the road.. "Muzungu pull to the side of the road- you will be arrested" Oh my God it is going to be another Broken down palace –I am going to die in a prison-my parents will never want me to travel again-should I call my embassy, were the thoughts racing through my mind. The soldiers were yelling at us and they had guns and I was sooo scared. He was mad because I was videoing the bridge over the Nile. There is military intelligence on the bridge. The ironic thing about all of this was that my camera was not even on! Anyhow after 45 minutes we called Ishta's cousin –He is a lieutenant in the UG army. He promised them money we think because the guy gave me back my camera and told us to leave. Last week a journalist was sent to prison for the same thing. Thank you Yesu~

No comments: