Monday, June 25, 2007

Catastrophe in the City

this is Grace.
update on blog
This past Saturday Global Family Rescue peeps and I went back to Nakaseri's house, the lady that has been bed ridden for four years. It was a great day because Grace was feeling a lot better than the time before. She was sitting and was not as gaunt. We brought doctors to their house to give them care. Nakaseri is dying of Syphilis; she is in the final sages of the disease and will soon go mental. Grace is actually seventeen and has a two year old child. She is young enough to treat her HIV. She was extremely dehydrated and is severely malnourished. We took her to the hospital where she will be looked after. Nakaseri would not let us take her blood for the longest time because she was afraid of the needle, finally she let us. We are going to try to get the best care possible for her. The doctor was completely disgusted with their living situation and said the reason they were so bad off was because of poverty; poor sanitation, bad food and water, and lack of personal hygiene. We bought them beds so that they do not have to sleep on the floor any longer.
News about me
I started working at a primary school called Eagles Nest. It is an American/Ugandan missionary ran. The school is in the same area as my church. The area is Mengo Kisenyi, which is a Somalian refugee area. I went to my first class today and I had about 120 students… "eh eh" It was great though. I am really excited about teaching them how to read, and count, and everything else that P2 kids do!
Tonight I needed to get to Kids Bible Study at the church so I got a Boda boda. I told him that I needed to go to Christianity Focus, Ps. Kiganda, Kiganda Zone, Kisenyi, Mengo. Do you know where it is? He said "yes Madame I do." This cat took me everywhere besides the church. I called a friend to tell him how to get their in Luganda because this guy did not understand what I was saying. So when I gave the phone to the sabo to get him to hear my friend he started saying "I do not speak Luganda, speak English to me" WHAT ALL BODA BODA GUYS SPEAK LUGANDA!! Anyways I was on this boda for about 45 minutes…Sketchy! When I got to the church I had a great study with the kids. I taught them a new song and we put dance to it. These little Africans –they can dance!! Tomorrow Sherri and Matt are coming into town, so I will have some people to hang out with! I have been lonely since Ishta left and Andrea told me that she is not coming till December. I have been keeping myself busy though. I am supposed to be going into the village this weekend with the Tashobya's. I do not know if I will really be able to go though because I have just remembered that my kids are supposed to sing at a this over night youth event. "Ai yi yi" that could be a really long night. I am really excited because out Ministry conference at the church starts this Sunday.

No comments: