Wednesday, June 10, 2009

The Great Move





This week has been great since I have been well! As you probably know I got really sick Thursday night. I went to the Turkish place with a group of friends to say goodbye to Carly, the Australian missionary gal that came to assist Lesley and Africa Kids Foundation. I was feeling okay, not well but I was having fun so I can usually just hush the pain with fun. I started feeling bad so I went home to sleep. About 3am I started having the most severe pain that I have ever felt, no joke it was paralyzing. I was crying and I could not do anything about it. The next morning I went to the hospital. Actually the day I spent at the hospital was absolutely the most horrible time I have ever had in Uganda. You know when you feel like crap and nothing is going right how much worst it actually feels than if you did not feel ill?!  For the first time since I have been here I longed to be in the good ol’ US of A. The feeling quickly passed. After hours of waiting and feeling worst and worst I left. What makes me feel the best, I asked myself. Salon and Starbucks was my response. Starbucks was out of the picture so I went to the salon and got a mani/pedi. It was amazing therapy honestly I started feeling better. Meanwhile back in the States there was a mass of people interceding for me! Thank you! Here I thought it was the massaging chair and apricot scrub at the salon! Thank you God and thank you warriors who can stand in the gap! I went back to the hospital and they were weirded out because none of the six tests that I took were negative and they asked me to do three more test. I had a bacteria Infection. Thank you God for a good report! That night I felt fine so I went to dinner and then to watch Terminator with a friend. What a great day besides the whole sick/hospital thing! I am the queen of treating myself though, if I feel sorry for myself I can treat myself! Saturday I thought it would be a good time to relax so I slept in, went grocery shopping, made dinner, and then slept. Sunday I woke up early and went to Watoto Church for 8am service (flippin’ awesome) and then I went to Bussega Church where my new roommate preached the message, which was amazing. After church x2 I moved into my new homestead with Lesley. It was a busy afternoon but I moved in nicely. I am really enjoying my western toilet! Sunday night Lesley and I went into town to see the Kampala Contemporary Ballet. It was very interesting to say the least. After the ballet we ate Indian food with another friend. Monday, I took two of my children into town because they were sick. One of the kids had the symptoms of malaria and the other had worms. I was infuriated because no one had communicated to me that these kids were sick and worms are highly contagious. So I took Dan and Jau into town and we had so much fun. I heard probably ten times, “Mamma why are your babies so black”!! It was fun we went to a meeting first and they colored while I was in my meeting and were so well behaved until Dan wet his pants… So I had to go and buy him new pants. While we were at the market I felt bad because Jau did not get anything so I got her something. Then they were both wearing hideously nasty shoes and this pride came over me as I was their mamma, so I bought them new shoes. It was so much fun though. And the most important thing is that they deserve to be above rags. I want to raise the standard of living for them.  Then we met my brother, Emma for lunch where everyone thought that we were a happy little family! Haha.. After that I took them to Moses’ office building and from there we had so much fun. We were going up and down the elevators, running down the halls laughing and yelling, drinking coke and eating sweets, and mainly just enjoying each other! We had a blast! Because of that little outing today I am going to the market to buy all of my kid’s new clothes and shoes! They deserve it and it is cheap! Tuesday was Hero’s day so everyone was off work. Ugandans have public holidays every week. They can enjoy relaxing. Perfect opportunity for me to also relax so I went to the American Recreation Centre to swim. It was nice! It is weird to be in a place with only Mzungus though, it was kind of freaking me out! Haha.. After that I cleaned up and went to a really nice dinner in the rotating restaurant with Moses. It was so nice! We met this man from Dublin who was very lonely but also very funny and he joined us for a while and then left us to sit with the owner of the place, traitor. Just kidding I would have chosen the owner over us also… actually take that back I would have chosen us! Wednesday I took care of business in town and boycotted any form of paid transport. I walked everywhere and it was quite invigorating and gave me a great sense of independence that I really know Kampala. You see things differently when you walk. Every mode of transportation you receive a different view of the city, whether it be boda boda or benz you cannot compare the city to the way you see it looking through different eyes I guess... actually it is the way people look at you. I did not feel like a tourist I felt at home. I met up with several friends after my busy morning and we went to lunch that lasted most of the day. We actually got kicked out of the cafĂ© because there were noise complains on us, we like to laugh too much! Ahhh….  After that Leslie and I went to cell group at Watoto. This week has been quite leisurely because I have not been well and I have been just taking it easy but this coming week is going to be very full. Meetings, looking at land and new homes to rent, visit other NGO’s C.E.O.s, registering as a national NGO (EdgarJ), going to the rifle range, visiting the National Mosque in full dress, and getting ready to visit Kenya next weekend! Okay to explain the rifle range, the other night Leslie and I were in the kitchen of our flat, she was washing and I was putting things away. We were just chatting as usual and we heard the most scary sound right outside of our window. I scream and ran out of the room and Leslie grabbed a frying pan and started yelling “who is there”… Keep in mind we are in the middle of nowhere with a guard that you have to throw rocks at his house to wake him up to open the gate for you… but also we are three stories up and there is no possible way that someone could have been outside of that window. Anyways I was pacing quoting scripture and Lesley a.k.a Nancy Drew was sleuthing the scene. Turns out it was the man underneath us blowing his nose and the windows were just open… or at least that is what I think. Anyways after that we decided that we wanted to get a gun. So we are first going to learn to shoot and then get a gun. We probably will not actually get one but it will be fun to learn to shoot. How hardcore would that be to tell someone, “I learned to shoot in Africa”. Pretty dang brutal. Then the national Mosque, we got Moses’ driver, Saif to arrange to steal his mum’s veils so that we can go to the national Mosque of Friday for prayers. Should be interesting. Then next weekend we are planning to go to Kenya. It is not for sure but we are planning to go on a safari and to see the Mosai.

Well life is good. God is better. I am happy. And I love you!

Remain in his perfect love,


No comments: